Tuesday, March 31, 2015


Haiti 2015: Letter

 For the last 6 years, I have felt a calling to go, to serve, to learn outside of my comfort zone- specifically, to go, to serve, to learn in Haiti. After years of prayer for guidance, courage, and opportunities, I have been blessed with the opportunity to go to Haiti from June 15th-25th. Although this is a very short time, I’m excited to see what God has planned for me, how he is going to use me, and how much I am going to learn.
   
I will be volunteering with an organization called Children of the Promise, located in Cap-Haitian, Haiti. Children of the Promise (COTP) is a Christ-centered organization that aims to provide a healthy, Christ-centered home for every Haitian child. Not only is COTP a home for orphaned children, but COTP also carries out international and domestic adoptions, prenatal programs for expectant mothers, and nutrition programs for sick and malnourished children. So, COTP not only works with orphaned children, but also with Haitian families to the provide care and support needed for a healthy, Christ-centered home. To learn more about COTP you can see videos, pictures, and stories at http://childrenofthepromise.org/
           
While in Haiti, I will be assisting the long term staff in taking care of the babies and young children, and serving in any other ways COTP needs.
           
Unlike other mission trips organized through churches and big organizations, I have planned and organized this trip on my own, through constant communication with the COTP volunteer director. I will be traveling to Haiti by myself, where I will be meeting up with other volunteers.
I am beyond excited for this amazing opportunity to go, to serve, and to learn from the people of Haiti. I knew that I was supposed to go to Haiti 7 years ago, when I met a little boy and a little girl from Haiti. They were orphaned when they were babies, but God blessed them with a new family and a new life, through adoption. Ever since then, I have had a passion to help orphaned children find a new family. For this reason, I am considering a career in the adoption field, specifically international adoption. I have no idea what role I want to play in the process, but I do know that God has placed this passion on my heart for a reason; I just have to figure out what I am supposed to do with it. I’m hoping and praying that during this trip, God might point me in the right direction or give me a better idea of what I am supposed to do with my future.
           
I ask for prayers as I prepare myself for this adventure. I ask that you partner in prayer with me over the preparation, organization, travel, health, the time spent in Haiti, and the return home. I also ask for prayers over the Haitian community, COTP, the children, the families, and other volunteers I will be working with during my trip. That God prepares our hearts and our minds for what’s going to happen before, during, and after my time spent in Haiti.
         
Finally, I ask for prayers over the finances of this trip. To go on a trip like this, it costs a lot of money. This particular trip costs about $1,500. Although this is a lot of money, I trust God will provide the finances. Someone once told me, “God’s Will, God’s Bill”, to remind me that if God wants me to go, God will provide the means. And I firmly believe He is calling me to Haiti.
       
If you feel lead and would like to donate to my trip you can do so in multiple ways: which I will post as a separate post.        
     
Thank you for all the support, through prayers, encouragement, and finances. I know God has great plans for this trip, and I can’t wait to experience Haiti and COTP.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment